American Idol judge and mainstay music staple, Steven Tyler is best known as the lead singer of legendary rock group, Aerosmith. Named by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the greatest singers of all time, Steven is also known as a songwriter who has spanned a generation of great music.
- Find Out More: ZabaSearch Steven Tyler
- Full Name: Steven Victor Tallarico
- Birthday: March 26, 1948
- Birthplace: Yonkers, New York
- Height: 5’ 9 ½”
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Brown
- Marital Status: Teresa Barrick (1988-2006)
- Children: Taj Monroe Tallarico
- Best Known For: Colorful clothing on stage, raunchy lyrics and his lips!
- Twitter: @IamStevenT
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/steventyler
Before American Idol
Steven Tyler was born on March 26, 1948 to parents Susan and Victor Tallarico. Steven’s deep-rooted love of music came from his father, a classical musician and pianist. At the age of 16, Steven formed his first band, The Strangeurs, which later became known as Chain Reaction. At first, Steven was the band’s drummer but later became the lead singer. To earn money during his teen years, Steven worked in a bakery. He was later expelled from Roosevelt High School for drug use. Steven graduated from the Leonard Quintano School for Young Professionals in 1967.
Steven Tyler, along with Joe Perry and Tom Hamilton formed the legendary group of Aerosmith in 1970. Though the group is most well-known for the iconic song “Dream On,” Steven actually wrote this song before the group was formed. Aerosmith went on to become one of the most famous rock and roll groups in American history, continuing to produce influential music throughout the 1980’s and now well into the 2000’s.
Steven Tyler is father to four children, including actress Liv Tyler. He has been married and divorced twice.
Things You Didn't Know
- Steven often wears a cross around his neck, which holds a small knife inside.
- When he dies, Steven said he would like his headstone to read, “Here lies Tyler, the Demon of Screamin’, who never woke up from the dream. He was dreamin’, until one day he drank some magic potion, now all that’s left is sweet emotion.”
- Steven is color-blind.
- He worked in a bakery as a teenager.
- Steven first met his former Aerosmith band mates in 1969 at a rock show in Sunapee, New Hampshire.
- Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were frequently called the Toxic Twins because of their addiction to stimulants and heroin.
- Due to drug use, Steven collapsed on stage during the 1984 “Back in the Saddle Tour”.
- Though he was expelled from high school, Steven has received two honorary degrees, one from the Berklee College of Music in 2003 and another from the University of Massachusetts Boston in 2005.
- Steven Tyler joined the cast of American Idol in January of 2011.
- Reportedly, former American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi helped Steven secure a role as judge on the hit reality show.
- Slap that baby on the ass and call me Christmas! (Season 10 to Scotty McCreery)
- I might be colorblind, but unless you borrowed my lipstick, is that your real lips?” (Season 10 to Scott Dangerfield)
- Well hellfire, save matches, f--- a duck and see what hatches! (Season 10)
- You know, after Monday and Tuesday, even a week says WTF! (Season 10 to Pia Toscano)
- What’s with the jujubes on your ooh-ooh-bees? (Season 10 to bikini-clad auditioner)
- I love every bone in a woman’s body, especially mine. (Season 10)
- Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child? (Season 10 to unknown contestant Michael)
- Confucius says that crowded elevators smell differently to midgets. (Unknown)
- I’ve got leftover sandwiches under my bed older than you! (Season 10 to James Durbin)
- Don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things. (Season 11 on exit)
- I think tonight was a magical mystery tour of over the top talent and emotion. (Season 11 Top 9)