The Case For and Against Jessica Sanchez as the Next American Idol
We are down to the final 24 hours before Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez take the stage for the title of American Idol, and with the chatter heating up, we thought this would be the perfect time to take a closer look at Jessica Sanchez and the factors that may play or not play in her favor for Tuesday night’s competition. While our predictions are still in the works (check back here Wednesday morning), we’ve made the case both for and against Jessica below. Read on and join us on Facebook to tell us if you think Jessica will be the next American Idol or not!
Why Jessica Sanchez WILL BE the Next American Idol
- Jessica has always been the fan favorite according to social media metrics. Throughout the majority of the competition and up until now, Jessica has continuously held the top spot for number of Facebook likes, Twitter followers, YouTube downloads and more. Jessica has maintained a healthy lead over other contestants, despite various social media enticements by competitors, for example, promises of a video unveiling a secret in exchange for Facebook likes by Colton Dixon.
- The last four seasons of American Idol have been Caucasian males whose wins have largely been dictated by the enormous teen girl voting faction. The claim — America is ready to break that pattern.
- Jessica has an uncommon, true natural ability and singing talent that has been compared to the likes of musical greats, Whitney Houston and Celene Dion. Her style also appeals to older members of the audience, and if they like her enough to get out there and vote, this may be enough to shift historic voting patterns.
- Jessica has arguably been the most consistent singer on American Idol all season, always delivering high caliber, quality performances.
Why Jessica Sanchez WILL NOT BE the Next American Idol
- America has already let Jessica down once. She was nearly voted off from the show already, but for the judges’ save, and if it happened once, will it happen again?
- The primary voting demographic of American Idol are teen girls and they will continue to vote for heart throb Phillip Phillips, who fits the classic mold cast by the last four American Idol winners, Scotty McCreery, Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen and David Cook.
- A large part of Jessica’s fan base is international. They make a lot of noise, but they can’t vote. With a Phillipino/Mexican/American heritage, Jessica Sanchez represents the American Dream to many of those abroad. However, the American Idol site restricts voting to residents of the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Consequently, much of the fan buzz that is being picked up via social media metrics may not translate into actual votes.
So, will this be the winning season for 16-year old Jessica Sanchez? In the hearts and minds of all the other blujays out there, Jessica has already won, no matter what the outcome! (But we still can’t wait to see if it will be official or not!)